My first image of 2016! It's been cloudy here for months, but we finally have a few days and nights of clear skies. It's wicked cold and windy, so I'm using the William Optics Star71 to make relatively short exposures with less sensitivity to seeing. I got a couple of hours of H-a that are reasonably good the first night, but the OIII and SII are pretty fuzzy, so I used H-a as luminance. This works well on this target, although it might be a little misleading: The blue region is not so much indicating the presence of oxygen as it is the presence of hydrogen and absence of sulfur.
WO Star71 at f/4.9
QSI683wsg with Astrodon 3nm filters
AP Mach1 mount
H: 8 x 15min, O: 4 x 30min, S: 4 x 30min
You can share this photo in two ways…
Share this link:
Send it with your computer's email program: Email this